Thursday, October 7, 2010

Am I Not my Brother's keeper? - A great testimony

It was a cold, Saturday morning as we walked the streets of Boston evangelizing we came across this middle-aged man who was digging through the trash. He looked quite comfortable as if in his own world. Not a drop of embarrassment ostensibly for him, that was the norm – all about survival.

We went opened up to him in a friendly conversation – He was not the most pleasant sight – he was adorned with layers of dirty clothes half-hidden under a soiled, torn jacket which seemed to have lost its original color as he tries to keep warm. Danny was desperately searching through the trash and did not allow us to interrupt his expedition of survival, but simultaneously, he was quite receptive – he flowed in the conversation as he focused on his goal for that day which was to find a half-filled cup of coffee; to him that would mirror winning the jackpot.

As we ministered to him, he could clearly identify with what we were saying because at one point in his life he was in Christ. When his mission was finally accomplished, i.e. he found what he was looking for he lifted his head giving us his full attention. The look in his eyes said it all. It was as if I was reading his own biography, “I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments”. (Ps 119:176).

My heart melted with compassion and at that point I just told him how much his Father loves him and that he doesn’t have to eat pig husk anymore – his Father is waiting to embrace him; to clothe him again with a royal robe, to put a ring on his finger and to put him at his table to sup. I wanted to let him know that grace still abounds and that his Father’s heart bleeds for him. And it is not his Father’s will that he perishes.

We reminded him that he was redeemed by the very precious blood of Jesus. How could I, who have the son (the way, the truth, the life), walk away from him without pulling the veil of deceit from over his eyes? I thought.
He was elated when we testified of the love of Jesus Christ. Apparently it took him back to where he once was in Christ. (The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul). According to him, he was baptized eight years ago at the time but the pressures of life took dominion over him. Making our boast that day was enough to take Danny back home, as he surrendered and recommitted his life to Christ –He was very relived, revived, refreshed – and made his way back home (To God in the Spiritual) with a cup of freshly brewed coffee – a treat he will never forget – spiritually and naturally.
That day I imagined God calling His angels saying, prepare ye a party. prepare the best robe, bring a ring and slaughter the fattest calf because my son who was dead is now alive, who was lost is now found.
So we who are called “sons of GOD”, Let us not be party crashers, but let’s rock Heaven with celebration by bringing our lost brothers home. For it was for that very reason that Jesus came.
“For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved”. (John 3:17)

I therefore give myself to him so that through me others may receive the life that is in Him. May I never fail him in this or any other areas of my life. I pray the same for you, in Jesus’ name.

No comments:

Post a Comment